CompatTelRunner.exe is a Windows error that can slow down your PC.
In this article, we will explain why Windows runs this executable and how to fix errors related to it.
What Is Compattelrunner.Exe
It is a part of the Microsoft Windows operating system files located in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.
The word CompatTelRunner has been derived from the term Compatibility Appraiser Telemetry Runner. It is also known as Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry or Compatibility Appraiser Telemetry Runner.
Is This File a Malware or a Virus
CompatTelRunner.exe is a safe file that runs as a Microsoft service in Windows OS. This means that you don’t have to worry about it being some sort of virus or malware.
But still, like any other system service, hackers can target this file. As a standalone utility, it is safe despite the fact that it can slow down your PC sometimes.
This process uses resources (disk processing and CPU) and therefore can become burdensome on your system.
Uses of the Utility
The process utilizes Telemetry to gather system data. The file ensures the safety and security of all Windows devices. Other functions of this file include:
- Upgrading the PC to the latest OS version
- Installation of any/all Windows updates
- Perform system diagnostics to find compatibility issues, if any.
Problems Caused by This Error
This executable file can cause different types of problems to your system when corrupted or infected with malware. One of the most common ones, as already mentioned, is its tendency to slow down the computer.
Another issue is the automatic reinstallation of CompetTelRunner.exe. Many Microsoft Windows users have complained about the program being reinstalled on their PC. This even happens when they have removed the CompatTelRunner.exe file.
Do You Really Need This File?
Considering the issues this .exe file brings, you might wonder why not get rid of it.
The Windows operating system doesn’t need this file to function properly. As a result, you can easily stop or delete the file.
Just be careful not to remove this file if your PC is running a diagnostic test or performing some system-wide compatibility check.
So instead of removing this file, you can simply follow the steps below to resolve the error. After you follow the instructions below, your PC will manage resources properly. You won’t see it consuming the majority of system processing resources.
How to Remove/Disable Compattelrunner.Exe?
Try these easy solutions below if you want to remove/disable this executable file from your Windows PC.
Disable From the Task Scheduler
Irrespective of which Windows version you are using, start the disabling process following these steps.
- Search ‘Task Scheduler’ in windows and open it
- From the left pane locate Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience
- Disable all the tasks in this Window
- From the left pane locate Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Customer Experience Improvement Program
- Disable all the tasks from this folder
Carry out Some Tweaks to the Registry
After step 1 has been executed for Windows 10, the CompatTelRunner.exe will then have to be removed from the registry. Follow the steps outlined below to do that.
- Launch the Registry Editor regedit.exe as Administrator
- After that, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ AppCompatFlags \TelemetryController
- Change the name of the entry from TelemetryController to TelemetryControllerX
- Restart your system
This is the command that will help you take care of all system file issues by replacing the corrupted or missing files. Employ the procedure described below to begin the scan.
- Start Command Prompt (Admin) as Administrator
- Enter SFC / Scan Now and press ENTER
Now you just have to wait patiently and let the repair procedure do its work. This may take a while; therefore, patience is of utmost importance here.
Clean Boot Your System
Clean Booting the device is a good way to take care of many things. By doing so, you will be able to start the machine with a minimum number of drivers and programs.
You can easily avoid compatibility issues by booting in Safe Mode. Here is how you can do this quickly.
- Go to Start, type ‘MS Config’ and press ENTER
- Go to System Configuration, click on Services tab
- Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box and click Disable All
- After that, go to the Startup tab and select Open Task Manager
- From the Task Manager, choose each startup item and click Disable
- Close the Task Manager and restart your computer
Taking these steps will help you deal with all CompatTelRunner.exe problems effectively.